The ACI Resource Center – Southern California will host the inaugural ACI Slabs Week at its San Bernardino, CA, location October 26-29, 2021. The week will include educational seminars, certification review sessions and exams, and offers a special opportunity to earn an ACI Specialty Commercial/Industrial Concrete Flatwork Finisher and Technician certification.
The first two days of ACI Slabs Week focus on educational seminars lead by subject matter experts from around the country. The first seminar, Design of Concrete Slabs-on-Ground, will be lead by Scott Tarr, President of North S. Tarr Concrete Consulting, and James Loper, Structural Engineer and Operations Manager at Jacobs Engineering. Wednesday’s seminar, Construction of Concrete Slabs-on-Ground, will be lead by Amir Bonakdar, Business Development Manager at Euclid Chemical, and Kim Basham, President and Senior Structural Engineer at KB Engineering. Engineers, designers, and contractors can expect to interact with experienced and knowledgeable peers and earn CEUs.
Beginning in the afternoon on Wednesday, October 27, finishers and contractors can attend certification review sessions for the following programs:
- ACI Specialty Commercial/Industrial Flatwork Finisher and Technician, lead by William “Rusty” Owings, Manager of the ACI Resource Center
- ACI Concrete Flatwork Finisher, lead by Bryan Birdwell, Senior Consultant/Principal at Structural Services Inc.
- ACI Decorative Concrete Flatwork Finisher, lead by Lance Boyer, President of Trademark Concrete Systems
Exams for both the Concrete Flatwork Finisher and Decorative Concrete Flatwork Finisher will take place immediately following review sessions. Programming will conclude on Friday with the performance exam for the ACI Specialty Commercial/Industrial Concrete Flatwork Finisher and Technician certification.
“ACI Slabs Week provides a convenient and unique opportunity for engineers, designers, contractors, and finishers to grow their knowledge and expertise in concrete slab design and finishing through a consolidated regional event,” stated Michael Morrison, Manager of Certification Program Development at the American Concrete Institute. “In addition to educational content and exam preparation, we’re pleased to offer, for the first time ever, an expanded opportunity for attendees to earn an ACI Specialty Commercial/Industrial Concrete Flatwork Finisher and Technician certification during Slabs Week at the ACI Resource Center – Southern California.”
- October 26-27: Educational seminars on Design of Slabs-on-Ground and Construction of Slabs-on-Ground
- October 27 (PM): ACI Concrete Flatwork Finisher review session and exam
- October 28: ACI Specialty Commercial/Industrial Concrete Flatwork Finisher and Technician review session and written exam
- October 29: ACI Decorative Concrete Flatwork Finisher review session and written exam; ACI Specialty Commercial/Industrial Concrete Flatwork Finisher and Technician performance exam
For more information, contact:
American Concrete Institute | Always advancing
Always advancing – The American Concrete Institute is a leading global authority for the development, dissemination, and adoption of its consensus-based standards, technical resources, and educational, training, & certification programs. Founded in 1904, ACI is headquartered in Farmington Hills, Michigan, USA, with a regional office in Dubai, UAE, and a resource center in Southern California. Visit concrete.org for additional information.